What do you do when you want to make the perfect vanilla cupcakes, but you are missing a key ingredient? You have to make do and improvise.
Well, I’ve got you covered.
Most cupcake recipes contain Baking Soda. That’s the stuff in the orange box – Arm & Hammer is the most common variety where I live.
What do you do if you are out?
Did you know here are other things that make the cupcakes rise. You could use yeast, that’s the leavening agent in bread. I tried that, and after a lot of experimenting, yeast just doesn’t make good chocolate cupcakes.
The other choice is Baking Powder – and guess what – it works really well! However, you need almost three times the amount of baking powder that you would use for baking soda because the soda is actually stronger!
These are amazing homemade cupcakes that have both vanilla AND chocolate flavors. Plus NO Baking Powder.
Moist vanilla cupcakes, Chocolate buttercream frosting. To top it off (literally) I like to crush up chocolate chips and sprinkle them on top for that little something-something.
This is a really easy vanilla cupcake recipe. The instructions are easy to understand, and it will give both the beginner and experienced baker great results every time.
What I love about this dish
This is a vanilla cupcakes recipe. What’s not to love! They are light and fluffy. Moist and full of flavor! And generously topped with freshly-made, delicious, and easy to prepare buttercream frosting. Great for birthday parties, and pairs well with an ice cream scoop on the side
If there are any left store in an Airtight container, if there are any left at the end of the day.
The Special Detail
Did I mention there is no baking powder?
Simple ingredients that most people already have at home are what sets this apart from other cupcakes.
If you like it even more moist (than it already is, you can add some Sour cream at the very end. It’s not required, but gives the fluffy cake cupcakes, even more juiciness.
Substitutions and alterations
You can use a hand mixer if you don’t have a stand mixer. You can also even do it by hand but it’s a workout,
It’s not necessary to have room temperature eggs for good cupcakes.The frosting Use immediately or cover tightly with plastic wrap and store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. After freezing, thaw in the refrigerator then beat the frosting on medium speed for a few seconds so it’s creamy again.
After thawing or refrigerating, beating in a splash of heavy cream or milk will help thin the frosting out again, if needed.
Gluten-Free option – These are cupcakes. C’mon.
Vegan Option – Honestly, with sour cream, butter and eggs, you would need a completely different recipe. Not sure if there is a vegan baking soda cupcake recipe, but if enough people ask, I’ll try to make one
Carnivore Option – maybe add bacon? They say that makes everything better.
Anything after dinner. Also breakfast.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate frosting and NO Baking Powder Recipe
Vanilla Cupcake Recipe Without Baking Powder
Vanilla Cupcake Batter Ingredients
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp butter softened
- 2/3 c milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Buttercreak Frositing Ingredients
- 1/2 c butter softened
- 1/3 c unsweetened cocoa
- 1 2/3 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 c milk
- 2/3 tsp vanilla extract
Make the VAnilla Cupcakea
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a standard muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake liners. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat the butter and milk in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter has melted. Beat the sugar, eggs, egg yolk, and vanilla with an electric mixer in a large bowl until it has thickened slightly and is lighter in color. Gradually beat in the flour mixture on low speed until just incorporated. Slowly pour in the hot milk, beating until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a cooling rack to cool completely.
make the Buttercream Frosting
- Add cocoa to a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer. Whisk through to remove any lumps.
- Cream together butter and cocoa powder until well-combined.
- Add sugar and milk to cocoa mixture by adding 1 cup of sugar followed by about a tablespoon of milk. After each addition has been combined, turn mixer onto a high speed for about a minute. Repeat until all sugar and milk have been added.
- Add vanilla extract and espresso powder and combine well.
- If frosting appears too dry, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency. If it appears to wet and does not hold its form, add more confectioner’s sugar, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
Did you try this recipe? Are these not delicious vanilla cupcakes? The next time you need some amazing vanilla cupcakes, refer back to this one, and let me know how it came out in the comments.
Tag #bohemianVegetarian on Instagram, and be sure to give us a star rating and comment on this post!