This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
There is something about an egg roll that makes them irresistible. maybe it’s the Crunchy wrapper. Perhaps it’s the savory filling. I know some that will say that it is a perfect size.
Well, I’ve taken the classic features and come up with this easy-to-make, super delicious Feta Egg Roll out of Phyllo dough that you just have to try!
With a crispy outer shell, and a salty, fresh, and savory filling, you will find them irresistible. Not quite a traditional egg roll, and not really a Greek Spanakopita, but instead something in between.
What Ingredients do I need to make Feta Egg Rolls?
This only has 4 ingredients – I used two kinds of cheese and blended them together, so technically that makes 5, but either way, it is super simple and easy!
What’s a good substitute for feta cheese?
There really isn’t a true substitute for feta. It’s a harder cheese that has a salty taste. I like to use one that is made without animal rennet. I’ll explain that is a minute.
- Cottage Cheese
- Goat Cheese
- Queso Fresco
Is feta cheese vegetarian
Feta comes from either cows, goats, or sheep’s mil. . As such it is an animal product and vegetarian, but not vegan.
I like to get ethically sourced feta, from dairies that treat their cows appropriately.
However part of cheese making is adding an agent like rennet which is a curdling agent that breaks apart the solids from the liquids in milk – which is an essential part of cheese making.
Rennet is an enzyme that typically comes from the stomach lining of animals. It cannot be sourced without harming the animal.
Other vegetarian ways to make cheese involve lemon juice or vinegar, or using bacterial cultures that will cause the milk to thicken on its own. It does the exact same thing but doesn’t yield as much per batch.
Folding Phylo Dough Eggrolls
In order that everything inside these delicious Greek-inspired eggrolls stays inside, I used a modified technique of the traditional egg roll wrapping method.
- Take a single sheet of phyllo dough and folded it in half lengthwise.
- Brush olive oil along the edges – 1 inch in all around the perimeter
- Add 2 tablespoons of the Feta Cheese Mixture
- Fold one long edge in
- Fold the other long edge in
- Take the short edge and fold it over to cover the mixture
- Roll the short folded edge in
- Brush the last 1 inch with olive oil
- Roll the remaining 1 inch for the perfect egg roll
Is there a vegan substitute for feta cheese?
There are several different kinds of vegan feta – some are made from tofu, and others are potato starch-based products. I personally haven’t tried either yet so I can’t say how they compare to the regular cheese.
Are Feta Egg Rolls the same as Spanakopita Eggrolls?
Spanakopita is a dish very similar to this one. It’s basically a greek spinach pie. The major exception – I didn’t add any spinach to my recipe. It can also have onion, egg, and other spices. But feta is a common ingredient in both. Also, the Spanakopita is layered like a lasagne. Mine is rolled in a wrapper.
Depending on how you got your feta will determine how long it lasts.
Of course, always follow any dates on the package.
• Crumbled feta is good for 5-7 days after opening
• Block feta lasts about 7 days after opening
No – they are different. Phyllo dough contains water, wheat, and a little bit of oil or butter, and is rolled super thin. Phyllo is typically coated with oil and baked
Typical egg roll wrappers are flour and egg and a little bit thicker. They are usually fried in oil to cook.
For this Feta Egg Roll recipe, I decided to use phyllo dough as a substitute for traditional egg roll wrappers. I needed to brush a little extra olive oil onto the egg rolls before baking them, but to me, this was still better than deep-frying them.
To keep phyllo dough from drying out simply open the package and then cover the thin pastry sheets with a very lightly damp cloth or paper towel. If it is too wet the dough will start to dissolve and be useless.
Goes Well With
Did you make this? I’d love a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below!
Feta Egg Roll Recipe
- 8 oz Feta Crumbled
- 4 oz Cotija
- 2 tbsp Dill Chopped
- 1 clove Garlic Minced
- 1 package Phyllo Dough
- Preheat oven to 425°
- To a mixing bowl, add the cheeses, dill and garlic. Mix well. It should be a dry crumbly mixture.
- Carefully open Phylo dough and lay flay. Cover loosely with a slightly damp paper towel.
- Take a single sheet of phyllo dough and folded it in half lengthwise. Brush olive oil along the edges – 1 inch in all around the perimeter
- Add 2 tablespoons of the Feta Cheese Mixture. Fold one long edge in. Fold the other long edge in. Take the short edge and fold it over to cover the mixture. Roll the short folded edge in. Brush the last 1 inch with olive oil. Roll the remaining 1 inch for the perfect egg roll. See images in blog post for images
- Place the folded roll on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and Enjoy!
Tag #bohemianVegetarian on Instagram, and be sure to give us a star rating and comment on this post!